Thanksgiving Sale note: We have not yet received our first full shipment of Perfect Reading, Beautiful Handwriting, but if you order the bundle, you will have immediate access to the ebook, and we will ship the print book as soon as our shipment arrives (we anticipate receiving it in 10-14 days). That way you can take advantage of the Thanksgiving Sale. Enjoy!
Print and ebook bundle
The Perfect Reading, Beautiful Handwriting Bundle
is the book for you if . . .
- You would like to teach your four or five year-old to read perfectly and write in a simple, attractive style in sixty days time. Teaching your child these all-important skills will undoubtedly be one of the most rewarding experiences that you and your child will ever have together. The complete step-by-step program presented in this book will make it both simple and fun.
- You have an older child who is experiencing difficulty learning to read in school. Most reading problems are caused by ineffective instruction methods used in the schools. This book uses the most time-tested, effective method possible—phonics. Your child will almost certainly be reading at his grade level or beyond within a matter of weeks of your tutoring him with the help of this book.
- Your child can read well, but has poor handwriting skills. Most modern penmanship is sloppy due to poor instruction methods and lack of practice. The fact is, though, that everyone can have beautiful handwriting if only they are taught how! This book teaches Italic, the easiest to learn, fastest to write, most legible and attractive handwriting style possible. Within a few weeks of using this book, your child can have excellent handwriting, no matter what his writing looks like now.
- You have always been frustrated with your own handwriting. You can teach yourself how to have fast, legible, and beautiful handwriting with this book. Within a matter of weeks, you will be delighted with your newfound skill, and will be amazed at how easy it really is.
The ability to read and write is the foundation for your chid’s entire future education. By helping him or her gain these skills, you will be giving your child one of the most priceless gifts imaginable. Whatever your reasons for using this book, you can be sure that it will be one of the most valuable additions ever to your family library.
Best value: Get the print book and ebook together!
You will have the print book in which to do all of the basic work, but you will also have the ebook so you can print out extra copies of lessons or guide sheets for more practice.
How to use Perfect Reading, Beautiful Handwriting
- Before beginning each day’s lesson, briefly review the previous lesson.
- Introduce the letter or sound being learned.
- For the alphabet, trace the letters in the lesson; then copy.
- For other lessons, practice sounding out word families (at, bat, hat, cat, sat, mat, etc.).
- Practice reading the story.
- Use word families for spelling practice.
- Use the model sentences as copywork; copying letterforms and spacing, and writing each word directly beneath the model.
- Users of Charlotte Mason methods will find it helpful to use the reproducible guide sheets for copywork and dictation, as well as other writing assignments.
Easy to use
Because this is a book that students write in, it is simple to use — just do the next letter, word, or sentence. In many parts of the book, students write directly below the model, which is the best way to teach letterforms, slant, and spacing. Students don’t get distracted or lose their place as they can do when having to look back and forth from a text to separate paper. The reproducible guideline pages can be copied for additional practice.
You can read a complete list of the contents of PRBH at the page for the print version.
Use with Charlotte Mason Methods
To begin with, letters, words, and sentences are practiced right on the pages of this book. As students progress, they can use the reproducible guide sheets for all copywork and dictation, as well as other writing assignments. The guide sheets help students develop a rhythmic, even handwriting, so be sure to photocopy plenty of them (lessons are not reproducible, but the guide sheets are).
About the Author
Caroline Joy Adams has taught calligraphy in the Boston area at the Harvard University Center for Lifelong Learning, (a former part of the Harvard Extension School) as well as at MIT, and the Tufts University Experimental College. She is the author of An Italic Calligraphy Handbook, a textbook on calligraphy for adults, published in several editions in the US and Great Britain, and most recently published by Dover Publications. She is also the author of A Woman of Wisdom, and The Power to Write: Seven Keys to Discover Your Writer Within, and has taught hundreds of Creative Writing workshops over the years across the country, from California to New England.
Currently, Caroline is an Adjunct Professor of English at Paradise Valley Community College, in Phoenix, Arizona, where she has taught since 2008. She loves to inspire her students to gain an appreciation for the power and beauty of the written word, in all its many forms. She is also a passionate nature photographer, and leader of seminars on a variety of topics. Her forthcoming book, Your Life is a Sacred Journey: Making the 28 Day Sacred Journey from Wherever You Are Right Now, features her beautiful photography and inspirational words. Her two websites are www.CarolineJoyAdams.com and www.SacredJourneyMoments.com.